What is the Buddy Up scheme?
The Buddy Up scheme is designed to help new undergraduate students in the College of Life and Environmental Sciences settle into University life more quickly. The scheme aims to enable new students to get the information they need to find their way around and to network and learn from other students within the same discipline.
It also provides a personal development opportunity for second and third year students that will enhance their communication skills, leadership skills and will count towards the Exeter Award.
A Buddy is
- An informal point of contact.
- Someone who meet with you in an informal environment.
- Someone who will reflect on their experiences at university and give you informal hints and tips on a wide range of elements related to life at the University of Exeter.
- There to help you build confidence, encourage and advise you on social integration and give support to you on a flexible basis.
A Buddy isn’t
- A counsellor.
- A careers advisor.
- A replacement for services, such as advice on finance or welfare.
- A tutor or someone who will proof read assignments and coursework.
- A means of reducing existing lecturer – student contact.
- Gain practical advice, encouragement and support in a range of areas.
- Learn from the experiences of other students.
- Develop your communication skills.
- Make a wide range of friends.
- Increase your social skills in new environments.
- Become more empowered to make decisions.
- Develop strategies for dealing with problems.
- Identify goals and establish a sense of direction.
- Be part of a wider Buddy Up Scheme network that allows you to share your experiences with others.
You can apply for a Buddy from August onwards for the next academic year.
Requesting a Buddy is really simple, all you need to do is email firstname.lastname@example.org with your:
- Full name
- University email address (if you have it)
- Student number (if you have it)
Once you have been matched to a Buddy we will provide you with their details and your details will, in turn, be passed to the Buddy.
It is completely up to you and your Buddy how and how often you meet/e-mail so do not feel that being part of the scheme requires lots of time and effort.
Please note that the Buddy Up scheme is only available to first year Psychology, Biosciences, Natural Sciences, Geography and Sport and Health Sciences students.
If you are an existing university student within the College of Life and Environmental Sciences and would like to be a Buddy for a new student in the academic year 2021/22 then please fill in your details in the application form below.
- Improve communication and leadership skills.
- Develop organisational and time management skills.
- Increase your confidence and motivation.
- Engage in a volunteering opportunity, valued by employers.
- Enhance your CV.
- Experience the satisfaction of helping students to have a successful start to university life.
- Increase your circle of friends and learn about different cultures.
- Count towards the Exeter Award.
- Acknowledgement on your HEAR.