Skip to main content
What's on
Coronavirus webpages
More links

Information for Life Sciences staff









On this page: Facilities and equipment | Health and Safety | IT and websitesMarketing, Student Recruitment and Press | Research | Teaching | Wellbeing and inclusion

Clear search results

Facilities and equipment

A list of each department's facilities and who to contact can be found here:

If you are looking for a specific piece of equipment and it is not found within a facility, please contact the Technical Services Manager for each area who will be able to answer questions about equipment:

Geoffrey Pope / Biocatalysis Steven Goff
Amory / Hatherly Stephen Haley
Sports and Health Sciences Garrick Taylor
Washington Singer / Hatherly Sam Mitchell

Use the Campus Services Help Desk to request building maintenance, report a fault, request cleaning or arrange for items to be moved.

You can use the WARPit online reuse platform to find unwanted office furniture from other university departments, or upload an item to be reused.

Health and safety

It has to be someone who introduces the risk, knows the process, understands the risk and is in a position to ensure the controls are made available. Academics introduce the risk therefore are responsible for completing the paperwork but they can devolve this to the student/PhD/Post doc doing the work and that they feel is competent. The risk assessment then needs to be counter-signed by the academic if devolved to someone else they have chosen to carry out the risk assessment.

Health and Safety documents can be found on the Health and Safety website

You can view the different roles and organisational elements responsible for ensuring the Health and Safety policy is maintained here: Safety Roles and Responsibilities of College and Service Staff

General email address:

Biosciences (Exeter)

Bioscience and Geography (Penryn)

Geography (Exeter)


Sport and Health Science (St. Lukes)

University Safety Office

Infrastructure and Projects Officer

  • India Lucas-Odgars 

If you discover a fire.

  1. Sound the alarm;
  2. Call the fire service from the nearest SAFE telephone (999 from any public/mobile phone; 9999 from any internal telephone);
  3. Give the address of the building you are in:

    Streatham Campus, Exeter, Devon

    Biosciences, Geoffrey Pope, University of Exeter, Stocker Road, Exeter, EX4 4QD

    Geography, University of Exeter, Amory Building, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4RJ

    Psychology, University of Exeter, Washington Singer Building, Perry Road, Exeter EX4 4QG

    Sport and Health Sciences, St Luke's Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter, UK, EX1 2LU

    Penryn Campus, Penryn, Cornwall

    Biosciences, Centre for Ecology and Conservation, University of Exeter, Treliever Road, Penryn, Cornwall, TR10 9FE

    Geography, University of Exeter, Peter Lanyon Building, Penryn, Cornwall, TR10 9FE

  4. Notify the University Estate Patrol/Campus Security:

    Streatham Campus: (Internal: Dial 3999, External: Dial 01392 263999).

    Penryn Campus: (Tel: 01326 370400).

  5. Go to the nearest fire assembly point.

If you hear the fire alarm

  1. If you have responsibility for a colleague with special needs: contact that person and give assistance.
  2. Go to the assembly point.
  3. Do not re-enter the building until told that it is safe to do so.

University of Exeter Fire Safety Guidance

The aim of Occupational Health is to encourage and support an environment within the university which helps staff fulfill their potential, irrespective of disability and ill health. Our work is to prevent work-related illness and injury and to assist staff to return to work after sickness absence. All Occupational Health staff work under a professional code of confidentiality. Unless an individual’s consent has been given to disclose further information, information to line managers and/or Human Resources will only be on terms of fitness to work and for any modifications needed in the workplace.


Guidance and advice

If you are a member of staff

If you believe you are suffering a health problem which might be linked to your work, you can self-refer to the Occupational Health Service. All self-referrals to the Occupational Health Service are treated in the strictest confidence. You are however encouraged to report any work-related health problems to your line manager. Occupational Health Advisors (OHA) will not pass any medical information to a third party without your informed consent. Any information passed to a third party with consent, can be copied to you, if you so wish.

Advice and guidance

Any member of staff can telephone or email the Occupational Health Service when seeking advice or guidance about a work-related health issue/problem.


Staff are encouraged to arrange their own appointment direct with the Occupational Health Service. This can be done by telephone or email. Staff are normally seen in the Occupational Health Unit, on the Streatham Campus. However, in some circumstances and where necessary, staff may be seen at their place of work. OHAs travel to Tremough as often as possible and will see staff based at Tremough (by appointment) on their visits to Cornwall.

The University has a duty under the First Aid at Work Regulations to provide first aid for its staff.  It is also the University’s policy to extend this provision to include students, visitors and members of the public, whilst on our campuses.

  1. First Aiders have been trained to a high level of competence on HSE approved courses. They receive refresher training every 3 years.
  2. First Aiders are trained to manage an emergency, provide emergency treatment to injured persons and remain with them until professional medical help arrives.
  3. First Aiders are not able to provide professional medical treatment, provide diagnoses or dispense medicines.

What to do if you or a colleague needs first aid at work

  1. Contact your nearest first aider. (These names can be found on a list next to all first aid boxes as well as other various locations around the building)
  2. If necessary call for an ambulance and advise Estate Patrol (01392 263999 or Ext 3999) (Streatham and St Luke's Campuses); or (Cornwall Campus) contact Reception on 01326 370400.  If an ambulance is called, also advise the Health and Safety Office (01392 269340) as they will need to investigate and collect evidence.
  3. Ensure that a University Accident / Incident Report form is completed and sent to the Health & Safety Office.  This is normally carried out by the First Aider but can be done by any member of staff.

Free Lifesaving App - The 'St John Ambulance First Aid' app is available for both iPhone and Android mobile phone users.  The app provides advice on both minor and major emergencies, which is easily digestible whether consulted: at leisure or when under pressure.

First Aiders list

For a list of all first aiders please visit the Health and Safety office website.

If you wish to become a University First Aider please contact the Health & Safety office.

First Aid and Nursing Mothers' Rooms

The University's First Aid Rooms are provided and equipped for the use of First Aiders assisting persons requiring first aid. They are not normally staffed; therefore you should first seek the assistance of a First Aider nearby. Each First Aid Room is also equipped for Nursing Mothers with a chair and fridge.

These are located at:

Streatham Campus
Room 115, Old Library Building. See the Streatham Campus map.

St Luke's Campus
Holnicote Building. See the St Luke's Campus map.

Cornwall Campus (Tremough)
Reception (a separate room just off reception). See the Cornwall Campus map.

In addition to specific regulations, some basic guidelines/rules for general safety within laboratories are:

  • There must be no eating, drinking or application of cosmetics in laboratories.
  • Laboratory coats must be worn and be fastened in laboratories. These must not be taken into rest areas and coffee rooms. Laboratory coats should be hung up separately from other clothing.
  • All staff should be aware of suitable clothing for various activity types; for example, open shoes or shorts are inappropriate for certain types of laboratory activity.
  • There may be occasions on which long hair should be tied up.
  • Safety spectacles or visors must be worn when handling acids, alkalis, corrosive or other hazardous materials including microbiological material.
  • Safety spectacles or visors must be worn in solution-chemistry laboratories
  • Safety glassed must be worn in the teaching laboratory at all times by staff and students alike. The only exceptions being when using microscopes or if an approved Risk Assessment has been completed showing that they are not necessary.
  • Suitable gloves should be worn when handling hazardous materials.  Disposable gloves should be changed frequently to avoid contamination.
  • Remove disposable gloves before handling other equipment and books and before leaving the laboratory if possible.  To avoid contamination, one glove must always be removed to handle door-knobs etc.
  • Hands should be washed when leaving the laboratory and before meals etc.
  • Do not work with flammable solvents near a naked flame, or place them in refrigerators or freezers unless these are marked spark-proofed.
  • Mobile phones should not be used in the laboratory.  Personal calls must be taken outside the laboratory.  The only exceptions for phone use is for on-call and when required for specialist technical advice on equipment.  Phones must be turned off particularly when working with flammable solvents
  • The use of IPods and personal stereos is discouraged and must only be used with the express permission of the laboratory manager/PI and when there is no risk of contamination.
  • The presence of children in laboratories is not permitted. If it is necessary for a child to enter the building, this is permitted only on the following conditions: -
    The child is at all times supervised by a responsible adult and is not left unattended and a Children in Laboratories Risk Assessment has been completed.
    All responsibility for accidents caused will be that of the parent or person in charge of the child. The department will not accept any responsibility.

IT and websites

Urgent issues

If you’re unable to work or have a time-critical issue, please call 4724 or +441392 724724 and select the option to speak with the IT Helpdesk. If you already have logged a call online and need to escalate it, please ensure you have your IT Helpdesk reference number when talking with the team. You can check if we already know about the problem on the Hot Issues page here.

Other issues

To raise a non-urgent IT issue or request an IT service, please log your call via the online IT helpdesk portal. View the IT Helpdesk FAQs. 

IT support and guidance

The Digital Hub is the University's new virtual and physical space to help you get the most from digital tools and projects.

You can ask questions, find guides to using software, or book time with a technician. 

Digital teaching support

The Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL)/eLearning team offer support with pedagogical uses of Teams or other technologies. Contact them on or access resources on the TEL sharepoint

The Enhancement Hub is home to further guidance and support for online teaching.

Research groups on discipline websites

Websites for research groups belonging to a discipline (e.g. Integrative Physiology in Sport and Health Sciences) are built in our in-house web content management system, T4. The faculty and discipline websites have a set style and colour scheme.

If you need a new site set up, your first point of contact is the Digital Team (

There is no charge for this work, but we will need to book it in to the Digital Team project backlog so please give as much notice as you can.

Research projects, lab groups and academic websites

When a website is required for a research project, a lab group or an individual academic, these are the recommended available options:

  • A wordpress site or blog (free)
  • A bespoke website created by the Design Studio (there is a charge for this)
  • Free or low-cost external website builders

Find out more and get started here.

Your first point of contact for website updates is the Digital Team (

If you need to make frequent updates to your site, we can set you up with access to edit the site yourself using T4, our in-house content management system. Our short, accessible T4 training videos teach you how to edit text, add links and upload documents. For more advanced users, our advanced videos show you how to add images, pages and new pieces of content. 

If your site is very out of date and requires a complete redesign, please get in touch with the Digital Team so we can book this into our project backlog for you. 

Undergraduate or Postgraduate programme pages

If you notice an error or update needed on an undergraduate or postgraduate programme page, please email

Facebook, Twitter and other social media channels allow you to set up and maintain your own account. 

Before you do this, however, be aware that success on social media does require a significant time commitment to actively attract and engage with followers.

For guidance on what to post and things to bear in mind, see our staff Social Media Guidelines

If you intend to use the university logo, make sure you consult the Design Studio first. 

To update your profile page, log in to the ROM system with your normal IT username and password, then search for your name in the search box.

Download a detailed guide: How to update your staff profile (PDF)

Don't have a staff profile yet?

Contact your department admin team and they can set one up for you.

Want to change your photo?

Contact your department admin team or email

Why update your profile?

  1. To showcase your research. An up-to-date profile promotes your research and encourages potential academic and industrial collaborators to get in touch with you. It will also support REF submissions.
  2. To get yourself noticed for future projects and funding. The university’s website gets around 30,000 views every day. An up-to-date profile is a great opportunity to market yourself and expand your contact base with minimal effort.
  3. To help prospective PhD students find you. User testing has shown that students considering a PhD use staff profiles as a key part of deciding whether a department or university is right for them

Marketing, Student Recruitment and Press

On the MI Hub: this is updated daily and contains reports with information about current applications and applicant status information such as offers, acceptances and deposits paid, information about previous cycle performance and preliminary enrolment data.

We offer a number of ways for prospective students to visit us, both on campus as part of a campus tour or online via our online chat events. For the latest details please see:

Undergraduate Open Days are typically held in May/June, September and October. Postgraduate Open Days are held in November, March and June. For the dates for your campus please see:

We also typically hold Offer Holder Visit Days in February and March. Offer-holders will be automatically invited to attend these events.

Our main scholarship scheme is the Global Excellence Scholarship scheme for all levels of study. 

For postgraduate study, we offer our progressing students a ‘Class of’ scholarship along with an Alumni scholarship which both provide a 10% reduction in the tuition fee. More information can be found on the Masters scholarships page.

If you have an idea for a new programme, please contact your Faculty's External Engagement and Global Partner, and the Quality and Standards team (, who together will help you with market data and the paperwork process. For more information about the process see the Quality and Standards website

The Press Office will be able to help you with any potential news stories. You can find out more about the Press Office and the other services they offer, including media training, on the Press Office webpage.

If you would like to arrange photography or films please contact your Faculty's External Engagement and Global Partner in the first instance.


The preferred supplier for booking Academic and Professional Services staff travel (including PGR students) is Click Travel. Find all the information you need to book on the Travel site. 

Centrally bookable rooms

Penryn Campus rooms

To book a centrally managed room on the Penryn campus, email the Room Bookings team with your requirements:

Catering on the campus is organised by FX Plus. The Hospitality Office will not process requests without a purchase order. To order catering, complete a requisition order and send this with your hospitality request to your Finance administrator, who will raise the purchase order and forward all the information to Hospitality, on your behalf.

Biosciences rooms

Biosciences Room Booking Instructions.docx

Geography rooms

To book Geography rooms please contact Beth Lowe-Smith.

Psychology rooms

Please note this is only accessible by Psychology admin staff. Please contact for further details.

Sport and Health Sciences rooms and equipment

Please note this is only accessible by Sport and Health Sciences staff. Please contact Sam Bailey or Clare Fogarty for further details.


Delivering blended learning

The Enhancement Hub is home to guidance and support including:

TQA manual

The Teaching Quality Assurance (TQA) manual includes all the University's learning and teaching policies, processes and codes of good practice.

Information and support for students

You may find it useful to familiarise yourself with the support services and information available to students:

Wellbeing and inclusion

See the Staff Wellbeing website for information on free counselling, Occupational Health, and a range of resources for maintaining your health and wellbeing.

Each department has an Inclusion Lead who is a first point of contact for inclusion issues and attends the termly Inclusion meeting.