The College of Life and Environmental Sciences conducts internationally-recognised research across the disciplines of Biosciences, Geography, Psychology, and Sport and Health Sciences. Our research is frequently interdisciplinary in nature, embracing disciplines within and outside the College. We combine expertise from across the sciences, humanities and social sciences, and collaborate with other world leading researchers from around the globe.
We play a significant role in contributing to the University’s Science Strategy, and three of the five constituent key research themes: climate change and sustainable futures; systems biology; and translational medicine, personalised healthcare and public health.
We are actively involved in the interdisciplinary research led by the Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI) at our Cornwall Campus near Falmouth and at the new Living Systems Institute at our Streatham Campus in Exeter.
Our research strengths
Find out more about research in each of the subjects within the College:
In addition to distinct disciplinary and interdisciplinary research strengths, the College is home to a number of research centres.
- Centre for Clinical Neuropsychology Research (CCNR)
- Centre for Cognitive Control and Associative Learning (CCAL)
- Centre for Ecology and Conservation
- Centre for Geography and Environmental Science
- Children’s Health and Exercise Research Centre
- Centre for Research in Animal Behaviour (CRAB)
- Exeter Biocatalysis Centre
- Identity and the Psychology of Self in Society (IPSIS)
- Mood Disorders Centre
- MRC Centre for Medical Mycology
- Sustainable Aquaculture Futures
Around 330 research students study within the College, across the University’s three campuses in Exeter and Cornwall. Together with around 380 postgraduate taught students and our research-active staff, research students in the College form part of a flourishing postgraduate and research community. Find out more about postgraduate research degrees within the College, including MPhil/PhD.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Our research was rated as world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
Biological Sciences is top 10 in the UK for world-leading and internationally excellent research with 88% of research rated at 4* and 3*
Geography and Environmental Science is 7th in UK for research and 3rd for research power, with 77% of research rated at 4* and 3*
The Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences submission included academics from three Colleges and five UoAs and 89% of research was rated at 4*and 3*
Psychology had 85% of research rated at 4* and 3*
Sport and Health Sciences is 3 in the UK for research with 89% of research rated at 4* and 3*
Our expanding, dynamic and supportive research environment is an ideal location for independent research fellows. Many former fellows have gone on to become permanent members of academic staff within the College.
Fellowship applicants interested in joining us should contact the Associate Dean (Research) in the first instance to discuss opportunities for hosting their proposed project within the College. We also welcome enquiries from existing fellowship holders interested in transferring to the College.
Fellowship support is offered at all stages:
- Advice on scheme suitability and proposal writing from our many successful fellows and research support staff, many of whom have worked for funding bodies and who have expertise in bid development across a range of key funders.
- Review and feedback on all aspects of draft proposals.
- Assistance with interview preparation, including the convening of mock panels and communications training where appropriate.
- 1:1 mentoring from senior colleagues.
- Peer support from our Early Career Researcher network.
- Opportunities (but no obligation) to gain teaching experience and to supervise BSc, MSc, MRes, and PhD project students.
- Training and personal development.
- Support for grant proposal development from senior academic colleagues and funder specialists within our Research professional services team.
- Clear criteria for progression to permanent positions.
- Opportunities for proleptic appointments.