Skip to main content

Research Student Handbook

Funding and Finance

Funding and Finance

If you are funded and your studentship is administered by the University, stipend payments will be paid direct to your bank account on a monthly basis in advance.

Payments made under this studentship award are not regarded as income for tax purposes and the University of Exeter is not deemed to be employer of an award holder.  The University does not make any payments for students’ National Insurance contributions.  For information about tax and National Insurance, please see the Inland Revenue’s guidance on Income Tax and Students:

The stipend payments will be suspended during periods of interruption except for periods of medical leave, as determined by the sponsor, and maternity/paternity/adoption leave.  If the stipend is paid to you for a period of time during which you are not registered on the programme of study, we will seek reimbursement for any overpayment that has occurred.

If you discontinue or terminate your studies you will not be entitled to any support from the date on which studies ceased. If an overpayment of your stipend has occurred we will seek reimbursement.

Your stipend payments will automatically stop when you submit your thesis. However if you are funded by a Research Council or by the University your stipend payments can continue until the end of the quarter ( if you submit early) but only if you remain engaged in research or training during this time. RCUK quarters are January to March, April to June, July to September, October to December. For example, your funding end date is 30 September. You submit your thesis on 10 July. If you remain engaged in research and training until 30 September you can continue to receive your stipend payments.

As previously mentioned the University payments system automatically stops stipend payments when you submit, so in order to continue being paid you need to email your supervisor giving details of your plans post submission and requesting payment until the end of the quarter. If your supervisor is satisfied with this, they should forward the email to the STEMM PGR Support team with their authorisation and the team will make the payment arrangements with the scholarship payments team.

Please note that if you are part of a DTP they may allow for payments beyond just the quarter. You should check the DTP handbook and quote this in the email.

If you are in receipt of a scholarship from a Research Council or other sponsor, your funds will be administered by the University. In conducting your research, you may also need to access fund to cover necessary training, lab expenses, or other research costs. How to access this is detailed in this section. Externally funded studentships (e.g., Research Council) normally come with RTSG.

Your RTSG can be used until the end of your funded period or until you submit your thesis, whichever is earlier. For further advice please contact the PGR Support Office.

To help with costs related to your research, primarily attending conferences, fieldwork, research training events and purchases essential to your research, self-funded students are entitled to a financial contribution made by the College over the course of their period of normal registration. This is usually referred to as RTSG (Research Training Support Grant).

The allocation of funds will depend on your programme and discipline of study as follows:

Discipline PhD/DClinPsy*/DClinRes MbyRes
Biosciences (*) £3,000 £1,000
Physical Geography £3,000 £1,000
Sport & Health Sciences £2,250 £750
Psychology £1,800 £600
Human Geography £900 £300
Professional Doctorates £600 n/a


(*) Additional RTSG for Biosciences students who are paying full international fees

The College will provide additional RTSG funding for Biosciences students who are paying full international fees at the rate of the difference between the standard international fee and the Biosciences international fee.  The duration will be equal to the number of years the student, or their external sponsor, is paying full international fees.  

The funding rules:

  • If the allocation is unspent, this is rolled forward each year.
  • The fund is available until you submit your thesis for examination.
  • No allocations are given to any student who is on an UKRI studentship (excluding AHRC) or who is on a studentship administered by the University that has RTSG funding associated with it.
  • All expenditure on your RTSG must relate to activity that takes place before your funding end date. If you wish to submit your thesis earlier than your funding end date, your thesis submission date will become your new funding end date.

For further advice please contact the PGR Support Office.

You should discuss with your supervisor the use of the RTSG and plan expenditure accordingly.

The purchase of laptops or desktop computers is not normally permitted. If you require new IT equipment please contact the PGR Office in order to find out whether you are entitled.

The University’s finance system T1 can be accessed from the following link$S1_STAFF

The T1 finance system uses the University single sign on but access is not automatically set up.  Check access by testing your login to T1 here. If it doesn't work, please let the PGR Support Office know your University username and we will arrange access for you.

Purchasing Goods and Services: The T1 Web Catalogue/CloudBuy is an online web catalogue providing goods and services available through many of our suppliers. You can search for products/services, add to basket and checkout. Once this is complete the order must be allocated to the relevant budget and submitted for approval. Once approval has completed, T1 will issue the order to the supplier. Alternatively create a blank requisition where the goods/services are not listed on CloudBuy, selecting the supplier if it is known or by selecting ‘unknown’ will route the request to the procurement team to advise.

Participant Payments: T1’s ‘Participant Payment Request Form’ is to compensate a participant involved in research or a University event for out of pocket expenses or time spent. It is not used for actual expenses such as mileage, accommodation or refreshments – this should be claimed by the participant themselves using:

  • T1’s ‘My Travel and Expenses’ function for UoE staff and students claims.
  • T1’s online ‘External Payment Request Form’ for non-staff/visitor claims.

For more information visit the Finance Services web pages. If you need any help with finance queries, please contact the Finance Helpdesk by email Or call on 01392 726981.  Other non-finance queries should be logged with the student information helpdesk: 

Travel is restricted at the moment and all international or UK travel must be authorised before being undertaken.  See the Procurement team’s Travel page for up to date information on how to get a trip authorised and booked -

Sometimes – normally for subsistence - you may need to make purchases with your own money and then claim back your expenses. In this case you will need to complete the T1 expenses application using ‘My Travel and Expenses’ using T1. Add a new expense document using the expense template and select the correct budget, then add your lines of expenses and submit for approval to the budget holder.

Any claims submitted after 90 days after travel/activity will be declined for payment unless there are exceptional circumstances for the delay. You cannot claim expenses for purchases of equipment – these purchases must be made via T1.  For further details please see the expenses policy and see the expenses crib sheet here  for help with using T1 to make your claim.  

Please note that your supervisor will need to authorise your claim in T1 before it can be paid.  Once authorised, claim payments are issued weekly on a Wednesday and take 2 working days to arrive by BACS in UK banks and will take around 2-10 days by Western Union for non-UK banks.

You must have your bank account details already set up in your student record in iExeter before starting a T1 expense claim see Add bank details to iExeter.

If using a non-UK bank, students must also complete a 'Foreign Payment Request Form' available here.  Once completed, the form should be emailed to, stating 'Foreign Bank Details for Student [name] + [student ID]'.

In some circumstances, for instance, if you are going on fieldwork for a few weeks or more, it is possible to receive funding in advance of your trip. If you would like to request an advance please see the Cash Advance section here ( for details of how to apply for an advance and how to use T1 to record your expenditure on your return. If you have not used all of the money you had advanced for your trip, you will need to return the funds.  If you have used more than you had advanced, when you reconcile your advance, the extra funds due to you will be paid to your bank account.

The University, in partnership with its alumni community, has created the Success for All Fund to help you if you are experiencing unexpected financial challenges affecting your ability to study.

You may be facing financial hardship; be struggling to pay for IT or a learning disability assessment; or have bills to pay while waiting for your first grant payment to arrive.

All registered undergraduate and postgraduate University of Exeter students in financial difficulty are eligible to apply, irrespective of fee-status. Priority will be given to students undertaking their first degree who are from low income households or without family support. The majority of funds are means-tested and you will be asked to provide evidence in support of your application. Please note, funding will not be given to pay your tuition fees.

Further information and instructions on how to apply can be found here