Further reading, research, and links
Signing up to the following mailing lists is useful for keeping up to date with current research, events, best practice and policies relating to Equality and Diversity and Athena SWAN.
Athena SWAN JISC mailing list
The Athena SWAN’s JISC mailing list is useful for both learning from and informing individuals and institutions involved in the Athena SWAN Process about the research, events, and initiatives your Department and/or your Institution has been involved in. You can subscribe via emailing the Athena SWAN team.
The Equality Challenge Unit’s Equality Link newsletter: Equalitylink - This is a monthly round-up of equality and diversity news, resources and ECU’s work with the sector. You can subscribe here.
For Geographers, you can also sign up to the Geographer’s Athena SWAN Jisc mailing list. You can subscribe here.
Subscribing to the Gov.UK Equality Policy email alerts gives you regular updates to national changes in policy and information on ‘what the government’s doing about equality’. You can subscribe here.
Women in Science and Engineering (WISE):
Sign up to getSET, the monthly newsletter from WISE.
Newsletters and Blogs:
- University of Exeter Athena SWAN website
- Women in STEM: four steps to a stronger Athena Swan application (Guardian)
CLES guidelines for the support of staff taking maternity, maternity support/paternity, adoption, parental or carer related leave:
- CLES Management Guidelines for the support of staff taking up leave and flexible working opportunities
Psychology Athena SWAN Guidelines for the arrangement of pop-up nurseries for events outside of core hours
Creating Cultural Change:
Gender equality in STEM articles:
- 6 steps to gender equality (short free e-book)
- How to get more women professors: success at the top of the world!
- Science faculty’s subtle gender biases favour male students
- Attrition of Women in the Biological Sciences: Workload, Motherhood, and Other Explanations Revisited
- 5 suggestions to the Norwegian government about women professors
- Addressing gender imbalances in Animal Conservation
- 6 Women Scientists Who Were Snubbed Due to Sexism
- Male Bosses Need to Speak Up for Gender Balance
- Why women leave academia and why universities should be worried
- The chemistry PhD: the impact on women’s retention
- Advancing Women in Science and Technology is Critical for Innovation
Rethinking Language and Visual Representations
Gender in Recruitment
- Evidence that gendered wording in job advertisements exists and sustains gender inequality
- How to diversity recruitment: including using Texico software and the Kat Matfield Gender Decoder